* Note: if any of the links on this page do not seem to work as you expected, try copying and pasting the address directly into the address bar of your browser.
Dates for 2015 entry
- Application packages available from selective high schools, school education offices and on the internet.
- Contact the school for specific application and assessment requirements.
- Closing date for completed application forms to be returned to the schools.
- A separate form must be submitted to each school you are applying for in the following year.
| 9th August
||Selection committees meet and consider applications.|
||Outcome advice sent to applicants.|
Applications for Years 8 to 12 entries to this high school in 2015 are invited from June 2014. Application forms will be available from our school or can be downloaded from the High Performing Students Unit website www.schools.nsw.edu.au/schoolfind/types/selectiveschools.php from June 2014.
Students must compete academically with all other candidates for entry to Girraween High School. In determining academic merit, the selection committee will consider:
- the results of the entry test
- the application with its supporting documentation
- any other information supplied by the candidate
In exceptional circumstances any student unable to sit the entry test may still apply with supporting documentation and the application will be considered. An administration fee of $40 will be payable.
Traditionally, only a few places become available at Girraween High School in Years 8–10. In Year 11 a new class is formed enabling 20 new students to be enrolled. It is highly unusual for a place to become available in Year 12 and will only be considered if a place becomes available before Term 4 the previous year.
You are entitled to apply for entry up to a maximum of 4 selective high schools. Each high school must receive their own application form and the order of preference must be listed the same on all application forms.
Note: Students CANNOT automatically transfer between selective high schools. If a student is already enrolled at one selective high school and wants to go to another, the parents must fill out an application form for entry and lodge it directly with the selective high school they want their child to attend and follow their application procedures.
For details of our school’s enrolment policy please click here
1. The Application Forms are available June 2014 from:
2. Follow the instructions to complete the application form and attach relevant supporting documents, including:
- Photocopies of the student’s last two school reports eg. 2014 Half yearly report (if not available by due date, please post, fax or email to the school asap) and 2013 End of Year Report
- Photocopies of NAPLAN results
- Photocopies of the student’s achievements in other activities that may support the application. This might include activities such as music, debating, sport and drama
3. Hand deliver or post the completed application form with payment of $100 to Girraween High School. Payments can be made by cash, cheque, EFTPOS, MasterCard or Visa. Cheques are to be made payable to Girraween High School.
4. Students will be required to sit for the Higher Ability Selection Test (HAST)
*If a student is applying for more than one selective high school, an application form must be submitted to all schools. All application forms must list preference of schools in the same order. If the test date is the same, the student is to sit the test at their first preference school. Higher
Ability Selection Test (HAST)
The test focuses on Reading Comprehension, Written Expression, Mathematical Reasoning and Abstract Reasoning.
For information regarding the test, for example
- what the candidate should bring on the day
- how to use the OMR answer sheet
- test taking tips
- descriptions of each of the tests
- and sample items
General Information For All Candidates 8 - 11
Photograph Identification of the candidate must be presented at the time of the examination.
The administration fee pays for the setting and marking of the test by ACER and for the supervision on the day.
The student's performance in the test and the written application will be considered by the selection committee and will determine the applicant's placement on a short waiting list for enrolment.
(NB. At Girraween High School, few vacancies occur in Years 8 -10.) Parents and students need to be aware that placement on the waiting list is not a guarantee of enrolment.
Applicants will be informed in writing of the outcome of their application and interviews will be held in term 4 to confirm enrolment.
As vacancies become available, the Principal or representative may consider inviting applicants from the waiting list for interview. Originals of all documents submitted with the application are to be presented. The Principal will then determine if an offer is to be made.
Candidates are normally Australian citizens or holders of a visa granting permanent resident status in Australia. Information on Australian citizenship is available on the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs website at: www.citizenship.gov.au. Official evidence of Australian citizenship may be obtained by the issue of a Certificate of Evidence of Australian Citizenship.
Citizens of New Zealand who are permanently settled in Australia are eligible for entry. Permanent residents of New Zealand are treated in the same manner as temporary residents of Australia.
All successful applicants will be required to show original documentation such as a Certificate of Evidence of Australian Citizenship, birth certificates or visas before enrolment can be finalised by the school.
Offers or enrolments may be terminated if placement is made on the basis of false or misleading information.
Proof of residence status (original documents) will be required before enrolment is confirmed.
Entry to Years 7 in 2015
APPLICATIONS HAVE NOW CLOSED
Key dates for entry to Year 7 in 2015
|15 October 2013
||Online application opens|
|22 October 2013
||Paper application packages available in schools|
|18 November 2013
||Paper applications returned to schools|
|18 November 2013
|27 February 2014
||Test centre advice to parents|
|13 March 2014
||Selective High School Placement Test|
High Performing Students Unit has relocated
The High Performing Students Unit (formerly the Selective High School and Opportunity Class Placement Unit) has relocated premises. The Unit's new telephone number is 1300 880 367 or you may email your enquiry to